Thursday, August 13

get wet!

It may have taken a long time to get here, but it finally truly feels like summer outdoors right now. The daytime temps are climbing up in the 80's, humidity is increasing, the sun is shining, and for the first time in a long time I left the house early this morning to go walking without my fleece thrown on. Too bad it waited until mid-August to come, yet we will enjoy it while it's here knowing its visit will be short as fall approaches.

Unfortunately what has NOT been coming at all is RAIN. Our county has been included in a severe to extreme drought state of emergency. Last night the meteorologist said that since 2003 we have fallen almost 35 inches below normal in precipitation with only a 1/2 inch of rain falling this month. It certainly explains why our lake is turning into a puddle and why people are losing their wells and needing to re-drill for water deeper down.

Probably the hardest part is keeping the garden well watered since everything the sprinkler sends out seems to instantly evaporate. Usually I water in the late evenings or early mornings to have the best opportunity to keep it moisturized a bit longer. It's especially challenging because everything is hitting the peak of production and it needs the water to produce good crops.

So, I do what I can and wait for the good stuff. The rain from heaven that perks everything up in my garden like nothing else. Rainwater must have a good dose of nutrients in it because the results after a rainfall is simply amazing!

And you know, our spiritual lives can be like that, too. We can go through dry spells when we fill our lives with a bit of this devotional and a bit of that Christian book, but what we've read can evaporate so quickly from our lives. Yet, when we get a good dose of reading right from God's Word the results are simply amazing!

"...God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit..." ~ from Romans 5:5

How can you not thrive and grow on this amazing stuff?!

May God's Word pour His love into your garden today!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~


4 comments:

Letitia said...

I'm saying a prayer that you all get some rain soon. We have had plenty, it seems, this year. Ashley is still in Kenya for another week, and it is very dry there. They have only had a couple of light sprinkles since May. And, apparently, their electricity is at least partially powered by water. Since it's so dry, they have now cut off all power to the area from 7-7 every day.
Glad you are finally enjoying some warm weather, though. I hope it extends a little longer than usual for you!

mom said...

Letitia, can I call upon you anytime we need rain? We woke up to a brief rain shower this morning! YAY! It didn't last long, but everything got watered enough that I don't need to sprinkle anything today! So, thank you for your prayers :-)

We are very fortunate to live where we do, aren't we? It's interesting because I was reading about some of the alternate energy sources that are being talked about and how unreliable they can be and more costly to operate as well. It's certainly a topic that needs to be well researched before our country says "yes".....

Learning At Our House said...

Here where I live, our weather has been unseasonably cool as well. Normally once July hits, we see high 80 and 90 degree temps, but we only started experiencing these temps this week- the second week of August! I personally do not like the high heat, so I have been fine with it. We have also seen more rain than usual. I have never seen my grass green in July/August...lol!

I forget what part of the country you live in. I am in the southwestern part of Ohio, the Greater Cincinnati area.

Amy

mom said...

Wish I had some of your rain, Amy! And I agree that I haven't missed HOT temperatures this summer either. It's actually been enjoyable :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin