Tuesday, August 4

a handwriting favorite

Every once in awhile, some event that I can't resist comes up online that prompts me to write about our homeschooling. I think when you've been homeschooling a long time, it does just blend in with life and you really don't think about it as being something separate that you need to talk about much. I mean, I don't talk about doing dishes or laundry or making my bed. Well, sometimes I do, so here's one of my sometimes posts on homeschooling.

Darcy is hosting a special weekly event for a handful of weeks called the Not-Back-to-School Blog Hop (button on my sidebar) and this week's theme is about curriculum....what you like, what you don't like, what you're looking for, etc.

As I thought about it, there is one thing that I've really liked in our curriculum which we started using right from the beginning and it is A Reason for Handwriting series.

The series runs from kindergarten through sixth grade and is a daily handwriting task which my kids have always done first thing in the morning for some unknown reason. For the first three days they work on letters of the alphabet or individual words. On the fourth day they write out for practice an entire Scripture verse. Then on the fifth day they get to color a picture and write out the Scripture verse for the final time.

Unfortunately I haven't ordered my new handwriting books for this year yet and extra final sheets are hard to find because my kids tend to use them up. But here's a small sample. Most of the pages will have a design or scene to color, but there's always the option to use one of the pages that has the handwriting lines and the rest is blank to design your own picture.

A simple handwriting program which we've always taken one step further. When they write out their final verse, they also need to pick someone to send it to and will use the rest of the lines on the sheet to write a brief note. It is like a mini ministry that my children can be involved in to bless someone else. We've only had one unfortunate incident through the years when my daughter sent one to a close friend and the girl's mom called wondering if we thought her daughter had a problem with "lying lips". Yikes! So, if you decide to do this, please check the verses that are being sent out to others when you are in a non-deprived sleep state of mind!

The last two pictures posted here are actually handwriting done by my oldest son who is now married with two children. I ran across them when I was sorting through a box and recalled an interesting story. When this son was a senior in a Christian college, he was chosen to be interviewed with a handful of other students for an article in a large newspaper. Written in the article was an observation by the reporter - my son's roommate had Life posters on his side of the room while my son had "drawings and notes from some of his young siblings" on his wall. Yes, it was a collection of handwriting sheets that provided regular mail for a brother away at college. And much to my daughter-in-law's dismay, he has kept every one of those handwriting letters! (I wonder where he gets his sentimentalism?)

If you are interested in ordering any book in this series, why not support a fellow homeschooling business by checking out this Rainbow Resource Center link

And if you are interested in participating in Darcy's blog hop, please click the link above or the one in my sidebar.

Happy handwriting!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~


11 comments:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

That is quite possibly the best handwriting book review I've ever read, Tammy. :)

I wonder if they offer italic writing in their series?

Have a wonderful week!
Marsha

ChiGirl said...

LOL! Yup! We have a box (or 2) full of them! But you know...as much as I threaten the shredder, I don't think I could ever do it. It's just too sweet. Oh, and we still have some of last year's on the fridge--can't wait to start getting a fresh batch!!! Love you all!

mom said...

Aw, thanks, Marsha! I'm not aware of an italics version of this handwriting series.

Yes, a fresh new batch will be available beginning this fall. Just think....the littlest will begin verses this year!

Letitia said...

I think I will check into those. Marissa has finally started loving to practice her handwriting.
=: o That is simply amazing. I have heard of these before, and they look good. Thanks for sharing.
I know what you mean about homeschooling blending in with life, so you don't blog about it much.

Dusti said...

I have used those books. They're great. Now the kids just copy from the Bible but, I may use again with my younger as the pictures in it are so appealing.
Blessings

mom said...

Dusti, you can get a book made by them with just border sheets in it for those who love to color and write. It would work well with your copywork :-)

Darcy @ m3b said...

I'm with Marsha,

I've never read such an enthusiastic handwriting post. people cheer for math and writing programs... but this was a first! Love it!

Those look like precious keepsakes.

Thanks for joining in on the NBTS Blog Hop!

knit1kids4 said...

I love a reason for handwriting.

And tell me more about the link to support a homeschooler???

mom said...

Thanks for stopping by! I think it's always a blessing when possible to purchase homeschool supplies through businesses that are homeschool families. Rainbow Resource Center is one example and they carry extensive homeschooling materials. Their catalog would take hours of reading pleasure to get through! Check them out by clicking on my link :-)

Robin E. said...

I love the focus on a single product, and what a powerful review since you have a decade (longer?) experience with this product. Thank you for sharing on the Blog Hop. It was very interesting.

mom said...

Now that I think about it, we've probably been using these books for two decades now. Wow, that's a long time, isn't it? The series has been updated in recent year with some new pictures to use with the verses.

I think that another reason that I've liked this program is that my kids never complained about doing it. The daily work does not take that long and they enjoyed the pictures and letter writing at the end of the week :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin