Thursday, October 22

a community builder of another kind

Those of you with young boys will think I'm crazy, but I actually miss the days of all five of the boys playing with buckets of Legos dumped out all around them. Talking, building, challenging, fighting, picking on their sister who had the Lego horse stable, building some more, and never putting them all away so mom would step on a Lego or two during the night when she'd be up with a little one. Oh, ya, it's coming back to me now! LOL!

Although the boys are all growing up, the holiday tradition of bringing out the Lego train and town will continue each December. And I hadn't really thought about it until a brand new Lego catalog arrived in the mail last week. I was going to put it into my catalog pile until I was surprised to see my littlest gazing through the pages.

She was pretty intent for quite awhile going from page to page and I found out why later when I had a chance to look as this catalog has a lot of new town sets. YAY! Now, I shouldn't even be thinking about buying more Legos because we truly do have a TON, - and it's been the best investment we ever made when I consider the hours upon hours the kids have played with them - but there's many new sets now available. A city corner with a bike shop and pizza place which includes a bus; a bunch of construction site vehicles; a winter toy shop; a movie theater, gas station, and town hall; city apartments with a cafe or a grocer; a BBQ stand....and the list goes on! Maybe I could pick just one thing to squeeze into our budget and add to this year's Christmas gift list?

Just imagine the town *I* will build someday when all my kids are grown up! Yup, forget baking cookies for the holidays as I'll be too busy attempting to read the directions with a magnifying glass in my hand in order to build these things!

Okay, I caught myself thinking about Christmas again and it's only October. I'm sure it has nothing to do with all these catalogs in my mailbox each day as well as the snow in the yard this morning.....

Whew! Back to your regularly scheduled October day.....

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~



11 comments:

ChiGirl said...

You know...a certain grandson of your LOVES playing with 'egos. :)

mom said...

Someday when he gets big he will be have a grand time at grandma's house, won't he? I went and checked the catalog and don't see any Duplo sets in it. Hmmmmm? I did run across a couple of Sponge Bob sets though :::running and ducking:::

ValleyGirl said...

Oooo, I hope you'll show pictures of your Christmas Lego town and train setup!!

I generally refuse to think about Christmas this "early" in the year, but this year, hubby and I want to do things a little differently and we're trying to figure out how to go about it. And how we're going to ease our girls into the idea, too!

ChiGirl said...

You'd better run and duck!! LOL

mom said...

Ohhhh, Tammi, is this something you're gonna blog about? You've perked my ears up....

stephseef said...

legos, legos, legos!! we LOVE legos.i DON'T love them, however, at 4am when i would get up to feed my newborn and step barefoot on a lego nestled in the carpet CORNER SIDE UP. you feel my pain, right?!?!?!

:)

we've gotten the Lego advent calendar for the last couple of years. it's REALLY fun and a neat way to lead up to Christmas - in a non-spiritual Advent sense - since we do-up the Spiritual Advent sense around every corner! :0

Tammy said...

I love Legos... and those City sets are so cute! My friend and I took our boys to the Lego Store for my youngest son's birthday where he found an auto repair shop just like his dads! My friend and I wanted to buy some too to build on our own! :)

ValleyGirl said...

It's kind of a continuation of my "Reinventing Christmas" idea last year. I don't think I'll bother with a blog carnival this time, but it's definitely along the lines of taking the focus off of the STUFF of Christmas and putting it more on the MEANING. (which is, of course, why convincing the kids will take some time ~ probably YEARS!!)

Hubby and I have talked for years about how we should really just not put anything on our families' Christmas wish lists because it's not like we really ever NEED anything. Sure, there are always things we want and that would be nice to have, but over the last year, we've seen that we can live on WAY less money than we ever thought possible previously and we're still living well. In fact, we haven't actually noticed that we're living differently. Which leads us to believe that we could probably live on less. We want to start giving more of ourselves and our financial resources. We want to start living more simply and with less focus on STUFF. We want to live hospitably without concern that our couches are still the same old second-hand, mis-matched couches we bought when we first got married 13 years ago, or that our dining room table and chairs don't match, or that our kitchen is still unfinished even though we've been living here for almost 8 years. The next time I think of treating myself to a 3$ coffee, I want to rather decide to spend that money on buying something to donate to the local food bank. If I still have that kind of disposable income, I want to start disposing of it in a more meaningful way.

And so this Christmas, I'm trying to convince my husband to go along with me and write on our wish lists that we already have everything we really need, but that if our parents and siblings (we draw names each year) insist on spending money, they should donate the money they'd spend on us to our church, to the Bible Camp run by a few churches here in our valley that specifically ministers to kids from surrounding native reserves, or to World Vision.

My biggest concern is that siblings are going to feel like we're trying to tell them they should want to do the same thing.

That pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure I want to blog about it because I know both mothers and one sister-in-law read my blog. So if I do, it won't be until after we've made a decision and have told our families.

mom said...

Hmmm, I've never seen a Lego advent calendar although I can understand how kids would like it!

Tammy, Lego has a new house set I'd love to have as my own...

And Tammi, thanks for sharing! I do understand where you're trying to go with Christmas. It fits with where my heart is moving, too, toward simplicity and necessity and helping others in the process. But it is hard to do within a culture that is geared toward more and desires and helping self...even within the context of our family and extended family. Last year we did something different for Christmas and right now we're talking about perhaps tweaking it a bit more this year. We'll see...

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

ValleyGirl said...

What did you do for Christmas last year? Now you've got ME curious!

mom said...

Hmmm, I may have to consider that as an upcoming blog topic, Tammi....

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin