Wednesday, November 4

de-distracting

Over the past weekend I was blessed to enjoy a completely quiet house for a dark evening when the power went out and for most of the following day. The only sound heard during that time within my house was the paw paw on the door by the doors of our dogs wanting to come in and out. No TV, no radio, no CDs, people big or small, no nothing.

QUIET.


For many years I've lived in pretty constant noise. Never noticed it. The volume just gradually went up as our family expanded which was to be expected because we had a lot of different people doing a lot of different things all at the same time. As older ones left home, they'd come back for visits and mention how noisy it was. Hmmm, I must have grown a calm tolerance of household busy sounds.

And then as I've been inching slowly toward menopause my tolerance for noise has gradually inched away. It's not that I mind the actual sound. I mind what the actual sound does to my mind. Total loss of focus. Complete distraction. Those two combined mean I have a hard time completing a task.

"Whatever excites the curiosity, scatters the thoughts, disquiets the heart, absorbs interests or shifts our life focus from the Kingdom of God within us to the world around us--that is a distraction; and the world is full of them." ~ A.W. Tozer

Mr. Tozer aptly describes the word *distraction* although he leaves out the whole having a houseful of kids part. Plus he doesn't talk about the frustration that results or how the quiet gentle godly spirit a mother desires to have can leave the premises at times when the distractions become overwhelming.

"Distractions must be conquered or they will conquer us. So let us cultivate simplicity; let us want fewer things; let us walk in the Spirit; let us fill our minds with the Word of God and our hearts with praise." ~ A. W. Tozer

Having some quiet time did allow me the solitude I needed to stay focused on a few tasks. There were no interruptions and I could simply move through the house putting this or that away and come right back to my project without skipping a beat. It allowed me to look closer at my house and consider areas that needed to be simplified. Areas that needed many more fewer things (isn't that a contrary statement!). And this quiet house allowed me to freely spend a time in God's Word, prayer, and song with no interruptions. Wonderful!

Having these mini breaks on a somewhat regular basis would be an encouragement to my well being at this point in my life. However, that is not the reality of my daily life. Adjustments need to be made to conquer distractions. To spend more time with the Lord in the morning as that does calm my heart and helps me to focus. To purposefully tackle tasks during the day. To continue to simplify our household and rid us of all the peripheral clutter that does distract and require time to maintain. And to steadily whisper and remind myself that I CAN do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!

May you weed out the distractions along your garden path in order to maintain a quiet spirit within!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

5 comments:

ChiGirl said...

Mr. Tozer, both man and cat, have a way of making me say "Ouch!" today. Good post!

Rhonda said...

I love it when I'm somewhat forced to quiet myself because of circumstances such as getting the flu or a cold but what's even better is the realization that I can make my life a better place by purposing in my heart to quiet myself before the Lord.
I love this post!

Kimmie said...

What a beautiful post. What a beautiful reflection of your faith and for the need for quiet in our lives, so we can here His still quiet voice.

I wish we lived closer, I am sure you would be my best friend.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

randi said...

Oops! I had two windows up at the same time and added the wrong comment to yours. Too much distraction, I guess! I wonder how often I have done that????

Quietness is always a surprising sound to me too. A little disconcerting too. Sometimes when I am all alone I have a hard time figuring out what to do with myself. I do like the idea of being more focused and purposeful. Sometimes I feel like I spend to much time "wandering".

mom said...

Oh, oh! What did Tozie do?

I think often the Lord does force us into a quiet time when we don't take the time ourselves as I can think of several times He has done that in my own life. Yikes! I'd prefer He not do it with the flu though....

Kimmie, I wish we lived closer to each other, too! We can instead perhaps be cyber best friends?

Randi, I totally understand the wandering aspect and unfortunately live it pretty much daily. And I deleted your other comment for you as I understand the multiple windows open thing...hee hee!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin