Thursday, January 21

moments of prayer

"An important help in the life of prayer is the habit of bringing everything to God, moment by moment, as it comes to us in life.  This may be established as a habit on the principle on which all habits are formed, of repeated and constant attention, moment by moment, until that which is at first an act of will becomes spontaneous and second nature." ~ A.B. Simpson

Prayer.

About twenty-five years ago when I became a born again believer in Jesus Christ, one of the first women's Bible studies I was involved in was What Happens When Women Pray by Evelyn Christenson. It was an excellent study which established many good habits into my prayer life which remain with me today.  During the time we went through the study, the power of prayer was distinctly established in my life.  Prayer truly is a tool that can never be taken from a believer and is always readily available.

Perhaps one of the best principles learned during that time was the short simple prayer which A.B. Simpson talks about in the quote above and which became a moment by moment habit while raising a large family.  Oh yes, I'd rather have long extended prayer times every day, yet an intimate relationship with God involves constant communication and I think I mastered that through the years.  

"Lord, help me....."

"Thank you, Lord, for....."

"Lord, I need your wisdom with....."

"Lord, keep me safe while...."

"I praise you, Lord, for....."

"Lord, may You comfort...."

"Lord, I see You working in....." 

That's just the start.  It is a love language between God and myself as I know He is always there, always listening, always answering as I pray for His will in each situation.  And sometimes it's only, "Ohhh, Lord......" allowing the Holy Spirit to fill in the blank because I have no human words.


Although I still use these short simple prayers throughout my daily life within my family, it is also an effective way to pray as I hop online each day.  Whether stopping at my favorite bloggers, reading status updates on Facebook, or going through email, it is easy for my heart to be in a prayer and praise mode knowing God is listening each time I pause.
 

How interesting it is twenty-five years later to be a part of a women's Bible study which is beginning Becoming a Woman of Prayer by Cynthia Heald.  It's exciting to once again be studying the topic of prayer knowing I will learn new principles to apply in my prayer life.  I look forward to seeing how this study will impact each woman in our group in the days ahead.

Prayer.

Whether your garden is busy or quiet, may your conversation with God be moment by moment!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Kimmie said...

Oh that sounds like a wonderful study. I've never read that book before.

My hearts desire is to have my life lived out as a prayer before Him. A constant conversation, filled with a heart that has been filled with love and adoration for Him. And occasionally I might even speak ;-)

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

mom said...

Kimmie, that reminds me of the saying..."preach the gospel at all times and when necessary use words."

As I think about it, what a perfect time to mention that you are a faithful pray-er who takes prayer requests every Sunday over at Over the Moon with Joy :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin