Thursday, March 18

looking across at the shoreline

We have had unusually spectacular weather for this time of the year.  With the exception of shady places in the woods or the remaining lingering big piles from snow plowing the roads and driveways, our snow is already GONE!  That's pretty much unheard of for the middle of March and there's no one complaining about the lack of snow around here.  

With high temperatures in the 60's and no snow, it's been the perfect week to have the grandchildren here.  They are outside each day all day.  The sandbox, the swings, the trampoline, the bikes, the picnic lunches, the balls, the busyness.

Last night after supper we found ourselves meandering down to the lake to check the status of the ice.  The kids ran out on the dock and after I took a few pictures of them, I noticed our dog.
There she sat perfectly still.  Not bothered by the distraction of the children at all. Not wanting to test the waters or the safety of the ice.  Just sitting.  I imagined she was thinking about fishing, but then noticed that her gaze wasn't on the immediate place in front of her, but across to the other shoreline where it stayed.  She tilted her head just a bit with the light breeze, but kept her focus across the lake.

Watching her made me want to sit and do the same thing.  There's an overload of distractions in my life right now as I consider all the inter-minglings of relationships which are not in smooth waters.  Difficulties, disappointments, demanding, disheartening, and downright disturbing at times. 

As I looked across to the other shoreline, I thought about these verses:  "For we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord." ~ Second Corinthians 5:7-8   There are moments in life when it's hard to walk by faith.  You want to see the future and the sight of how God will work things out. If only you could *see* to have the necessary and appropriate wisdom for decisions.  When the faith walk gets challenging, looking across to the heavenly shoreline allows some calm and peace to enter your life rather than the shakiness and uncertainty of the immediate waters in front of you.

The shout of a child caused both the dog and I to turn our heads as we land back on earth.  The reminder that our work is not done yet is apparent.  There's also a reminder found in the next verse of how our remaining work is to be done: "So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him." ~ Second Corinthians 5:9

No matter how difficult, disappointing, demanding, or downright disturbing life can be at times as others cross my path with their decisions, *I* need *my* behavior, decisions, and responses to be aimed at pleasing the Lord and that can only happen through the good courage and strength that comes from Him.  


May the reminder of the heavenly shoreline bring peace and calm into your life just when you need it as an encouragement to navigate the current waters before you.


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

5 comments:

Angela said...

Wow, did I need this message today? I have been so discouraged and heavy hearted the past couple of days. I have no doubt God planned this message in your heart to encourage others as well as yourself. Praying for your situation, whatever it is-God knows it is heavy on your heart and know that I AM praying for you across the miles.

Love
Angela

LaughingLady said...

Beautiful post, Tammy. A great lesson about setting our faces towards heaven.

mom said...

Thank you for your encouragement AND prayers, Angela!

Now I have a visual reminder about setting my face toward heaven, Tammi!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Kimmie said...

What a good dog for teaching you today. I love that picture she opened for you...her picture is cute too.

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 6 1/2 adopted

Letitia said...

What a wonderful post! So glad, too, that you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather and outdoors with your grandchildren. The picture of your dog is so sweet.
I can certainly understand the strain of relationships. I pray God brings answers to yours.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin