Wednesday, March 17

not a bit o'green

With my children having family heritage lines of German, English, Swiss, and Dutch, I don't think there's any Irish in our family's background with the possible exception of one of my grandmothers who had quite a mix of nationalities on one side of her family.  Chances are there is quite possibly not even a hint of Irish which explains why St. Patrick's Day comes and goes each year around here without a blink of an eye.  

Until this year.


Last week friends who come to our evening Bible study mentioned the husband's strong Irish roots and that yes, indeed, they would be eating corned beef and cabbage tonight.  

I have never cooked corned beef and cabbage in my entire life.

Until this year.

Yesterday I could not resist the urge to pick up some corned beef brisket, green cabbage, and red potatoes while I was at the grocery store.  Today I will attempt to cook it.

Anyone have some good cooking tips on this meal for this not a bit o'green mama? 

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

Kathy W. said...

It takes awhile to cook, make sure you allow enough time.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage-I/Detail.aspx

Kathy W. (who is 1/4 Irish, and is also having corned beef and cabbage for dinner)

ChiGirl said...

YUM-O! One of my favs! Let me know how it turns out. And for the record, I have some Irish in me, I believe. So serve it up to the grands. :)

mom said...

It was already in the oven when I read your link, Kathy, but I will try that recipe the next time :-) It did turn out wonderfully though and I'm going to pick up some more since it's on sale and stick it in the freezer. I'd love to make reuben sandwiches next time :-)

Oh, and the grands had seconds :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

ChiGirl said...

Good Irish children. :) LOL

Blog Widget by LinkWithin