Tuesday, March 23

waiting on your calls

As my children grow up and leave home, I keep thinking I'll have more available down time.  Time to putter around on all kinds of things that I never had time to putter on when they all lived at home.  But I'm here to tell you that this a total fallacy that mothers have been led to believe when their children are young.  In fact, it seems my days have become fuller and more busy with a family that keeps expanding.

Ohhhh, this isn't a bad thing.  No, not at all.  I thoroughly enjoy the relationships I have with my adult children and now their children.  I just have to figure out how to manage it better and perhaps make some changes.

For example, let's talk about the phone calls which come night or day.  They may be short when only a recipe is needed or they may be long like when our army son calls home and talks to every single person in the house for a quantity of time.  Here's another example....last night after supper my oldest daughter called and I hadn't talked to her much last week because the grands were here.  We chit chatted about a multitude of things and when I hung up the phone I noted that the handy time feature on our phone stated that the phone had been used for 95 minutes.  WHAT? Impossible!  We were only chit chatting.  Sheesh!  And as soon as I hung up the phone I had four other phone calls come in one after another  :::sigh:::


So, the topic keeps coming up.  "Mom, you need to get call waiting.  NOW!"


But I keep resisting.  And I think I know why.  I love one-on-one time with another person and I don't like to be interrupted.  Sitting and talking to someone who has a cell phone while they are constantly checking text messages or answering this call or another call seems rude to me.  Or being interrupted when talking to someone on the phone because of call waiting on their end seems rude to me, too.  The flow of conversation disappears and we often forget what we were even talking about.  And besides, if we had call waiting most likely the person calling would be a family member who I'd want to talk to for a quantity of time while I'm talking to another family member who I want to talk to for a quantity of time. 


Go ahead and call me old-fashioned!  I'll take a one-on-one conversation on my front porch any day over dealing with the interruptions of all this great technology.  


:::::sigh:::::


Yes, this topic will be re-visited when my husband gets back to work once spring is really here and we see how business looks and whether or not we can add the extra expense of call waiting on our phone.


Until then, feel free to give me a call and get my undivided attention!


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

6 comments:

LaughingLady said...

We bought a phone service "bundle" when we added a second ring for our business fax machine and call-waiting was included, even though we didn't necessarily want it. So I have call-waiting but constantly ignore it. I think it's a bit rude, too. I much prefer to rely on voicemail. Even when the phone's in use, someone can still leave a message and then I can call back later. When I'm not in the middle of a conversation with someone else.

Kathy W. said...

While I could probably live without call-waiting, I LOVE caller id. :-)

mom said...

I'm wondering if we will have to get a package deal of sorts? Kathy, we had caller ID when it first came out and hated it because so many calls came in as anonymous or something like that. It seemed to register with term not only for telemarketers, but the bag phone my husband had or someone using a phone card, so we ended up always picking up the phone anyways. I'm certain caller ID has probably come a long ways since then...

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Mrs. E. said...

I too like the caller ID. I ignore the call waiting and then call the person back. At least the kids would know that you know they're calling. Just a thought to consider. I hope my kids call me too when they're out of the house!

Nezzy said...

It's so funny. Your children grow up and leave home and you find yourself busier than ever wondering how ya ever found time to raise children. Then I retired from teaching thinkin', "old Nezzy is gonna have all the time in the world and bam...it disappears into thin air like vapor from a teapot. All the sudden your family has grown into the masses and Camp Grandma has exploded into eight young'ens. We have just ended up jokin' about any 'free' time here on the Ponderosa! Life is good, full and I am blessed!

Have a wonderful day, sweetie!!!

randi said...

no call waiting here either. i find it irritating to be talking to one person and have to switch over to another. :)

also, agree with you that time does not get more abundant as kids grow and leave, it seems to shrink. i am learning that lesson these days. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin