Saturday, May 22

a plant planting tip

Although most of my garden is planted in seeds, there are a few vegetables I pick up as plants from our local greenhouse because I have had poor success planting them directly into the garden as seeds.  Examples of these plants would be tomato, green pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage.

When I was planting my last plants yesterday, I suddenly thought about taking a picture even though I was almost finished up when the thought struck.  Oh well, at least I can still share this garden tip.  

Although this is something I always do with garden vegetable plants to give the roots good moisture to settle in, it is especially necessary this spring because our soil is so dry.  First step is to dig the hole for the plant and fill it with water.  Plop your plant down into the hole, water again, then refill the hole with dirt all around the plant.
 
Pat the dirt down around the plant and make a circle indentation all around it about the width of your hands.  It does not need to be deep, just enough to have a rim edge.
Water the plant one last time.  See how nicely the water stays right where you want it.  The water slowly sinks into the ground around the plant watering only the plant and not giving the wanna be weeds around it any help.  It's easy then for my children to go around the early garden and spot water the plants during their transition time into the garden.  


Happy gardening!


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

3 comments:

Shawn said...

Hi Tammy,
Great idea we love gardening too. Thanks for visiting me and leaving a sweet comment!
Have a happy weekend,
Shawn

Kimmie said...

I have a few plants to put in today...thanks for the tip my sweet friend.

Have I told you how thankful I am for your friendship? (lately?) Well, thank you. You are a blessing in my life.

May the Lord bless you in a special way today.

xoxo
Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted

mom said...

I love to meet other gardeners, Shawn!

Kimmie, you are very sweet and I'm just as thankful for your friendship :-) Always praying for you, too!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin