Thursday, May 27

spacing

Since gardening is still on my mind, I thought of another gardening tip while we were busy planting.

One of the challenges of beginning to garden is figuring out the spacing between vegetable rows.  When planting it looks like there will be plenty of room until things begin growing and later in the summer you find that you can hardly walk between the rows.  What made it even more frustrating is all the young children that wandered in my garden through the years stepping on plants because there wasn't room to walk plus it made it difficult for them to do their weeding chores.  

So we finally figured out our rule of thumb which works well.
Two garden rake widths between standard rows.  Three to four garden rake widths between sprawling vegetable rows, you know, things like the different squashes with their vines and leaves or cucumber vines.

Perhaps that sounds like a lot of space, but it works well for anyone who will wander down your garden paths.  Plenty of space to set down a bowl when picking beans, room for someone kneeling and weeding between plants, runways for runaway toddlers, and roomy trails for moving hoses around within your garden.


Happy gardening!


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

Laura said...

That's a good tip. I just got finished planting my rows and am now wishing that I left myself more room to maneuver. I had the great idea of trying to get as much as possible into a small space... but I'm going to be paying for that when I can't walk down the rows at all!!

Kathy W. said...

This spacing is probably great if you are blessed with a large garden. If you aren't, some of the principles of square foot gardening might be helpful. I only have 10x20' and this year am squeezing in: 12 tomato plants, 4 hills of zucchini (I'm going to be feeding the entire town, I know), eight trellised cucumber plants, two pepper plants, and eight trellised pole bean plants.

mom said...

You definitely want to get as much into the space you have. My garden was quite small when I started it, but has been added onto a couple of times and I'm blessed with room to maneuver.

And great point, Kathy. Think vertical with small spaces. Hills, cages, trellises or raised beds. And have you seen the upside down hanging tomato plants? Lots of more innovative space saving gardening ideas coming out all the time!

Because of where I live, however, I have to have a large fenced in area since deer, bunnies, chippies, birds, you name it are always looking at my garden with anticipation. I learned quickly that I could not use my fence for a trellis since it worked too perfectly for the deer on the outside of the fence!

Always learning :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

dining room tables said...

Thanks for the tip. I am planning to make another bed. This is going to be nice.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin