Thursday, June 10

fine....really

The daily flow of life around my household tends to be a steady busyness no matter what the day or season.  There isn't a lot of sitting still time for myself as there are plenty of things to keep myself immersed in doing.  Like yesterday when I was working on school corrections with a couple of my kids when the phone rang and my husband asked if I had heard the news....

Jumping online, I quickly saw the report. Four soldiers died when a NATO helicopter was shot down.  This followed Monday's loss of ten soldiers.  The article noted the statement by Secretary Gates:   "We do expect a high level of violence, particularly this summer because we are going into places where the Taliban has basically been in control for two years or more. We do expect this to be a very tough summer."  His statement was followed by a remark made by Pentagon Spokesman Bryan Whitman shortly after the incident:  "It's been a tough week. The level of activity is high... and the opportunities for hostile contact have gone up."

And in the midst of busyness, my breath was caught for a moment.   The human emotion that comes with a mother's heart cannot be denied as life pauses for a second.  

Just as quickly the thought and the emotion that came with it was taken captive and given to Jesus.  I know that I cannot dwell on what takes place in the world, especially when it could involve a son who is in unknown locations.  I can only keep my heart in the place of peace that Jesus offers.  That peace stays constant knowing Jesus is faithful as I pray not only for my son's physical safety, but for God's protection for his emotional and mental safety.   My prayers for him are not just when I rise in the morning or when I go to bed at night, but whenever his name is whispered to my heart as I pray to a God who knows exactly where he is and can protect him mightily. Those prayers go quickly from my heart and are released to Jesus which allow me to keep moving through my busy days without worry.  It also gives me great peace knowing the rest of my family prays for him in the same manner.  

As my heart calms, it takes the next step by praying for the families who will receive news that will take longer than a moment to absorb and come to terms with as they lose a loved one.  May God give them His peace.

So, if you ask me how I'm doing, I'll say fine and mean it.  Really.   

This seems like a fitting way to end and would be my hope for all of you who have something happening in your life causing you distress, restlessness and worry:   "Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you." ~ Second Thessalonians 3:16  

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

6 comments:

Laura said...

Praying for you and your son as well!

keri said...

I read that in our paper today too... I had the same reaction, a quick prayer. :) For you too. ;) Love you!

Kimmie said...

Sending a hug and saying I am so proud of you...what a godly mentor you are to so many! Praying for you and your dear brave son.

xoxo
kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted

Mrs. E. said...

Beautiful reflections, Tammy.

Chris Worthy said...

Praying for your brave son...

mom said...

From my heart, thank you for your prayers! I like to think of all the prayers providing a shield from God around him :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin