Friday, July 23

avoid this stumbling stone

Sarcasm.

A cutting or contemptuous remark.  Ironic criticism or reproach.

We tend to use a bit of this around here.  The difficulty with sarcasm is that it can so easily cross a very thin line and become meanspiritedness.  Or to use a synonym, sarcasm can easily become lampooning.....harsh satire - biting wit, irony or sarcasm used to expose vice or folly - directed against an individual (sorry about about the definitions, but I am a homeschool mom).

This morning the thin line was crossed during a brief car ride to church with my girls and I called the blunt speaker on it since it had caused hurt feelings with a sister.  "Not true!" she exclaimed.  "I was only being sarcastic!"

:::::sigh:::::

And my response was that perhaps it's time to really work on not speaking sarcastically.at.all.  To measure each word that comes out of our mouth before it leaves.  To value a little self control if it could mean the difference between encouraging someone or tearing someone down.  To consider what Jesus would say to others.  To speak the truth WITH love.

To which my blunt speaker responded, "But sometimes you speak sarcastically, Mom."

Gotcha!

Our best accountability is often with the people in our own home, eh?

Within seconds I easily made the offer for them to call me on it every single time they hear it come out of my mouth because I truly don't want to speak sarcastically.at.all.  I don't want to take the risk of someone misinterpreting my words and thinking I'm meanspirited.  I don't want someone to be discouraged by my words, but encouraged instead.  I don't want my words to match the world around me but to match what Jesus would say.  I want to speak the truth WITH lovingkindness in my heart and spirit.

Be sure to keep those little stones of sarcasm off your garden path because they can certainly cause you to stumble!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Sarcasm is like breathing around here ~ it happens involuntarily and automatically! We need to work at this, too.

Kimmie said...

Wise, wise words. Thank you for sharing.

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted

stephseef said...

someone told me once that sarcasm was conversational laziness - or the least common denominator in the conversation of any group. that really stuck with me, probably because, selfishly, I don't want to be known as the one who takes the lazy way out. so that has helped me to be mindful, at least, of sarcasm.... ah, vanity!

s

mom said...

Very true, Steph. I hadn't thought about it being lazy, but my mind has definitely been pondering the vanity part....

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin