Friday, July 2

the gladness of July

If you can imagine, I actually flipped the calendar page on the first day of the month!  Ta da!  Perhaps I was prompted to do so because our family has a birthday on that date - a son turned 21 years old.  No need to wonder.....yes, it makes me feel old!  LOL!  
Looking at this new month also caused me to realize that this year is half over already and noting that the Fourth of July is only a couple of days away was the reminder that the rest of the summer will go by quicker than the first part.

Then I noted the verse for the month and smiled - "You have put gladness in my heart" - and it seemed like a wonderful thing to ponder right after my mind had drifted to some of the downsides of this month.  Then I looked at the reference and did a double take.  Proverbs 17:17.  Wait a minute.  That doesn't sound right.  That's the "a friend loves at all times" reference.  Upon double checking in case my memory had thrown me a loop, I found that I was indeed correct.  


Although I'm quite certain that a friend loving at all times could definitely put gladness in your heart, my curiosity had been tapped and I knew I needed to go on a Scripture hunt to find this verse.  It was found in the NKJV:  "You have put gladness in my heart......" ~ Psalm 4:7a


This little exercise reminded me of how important being in the Word of God is whether by reading it or memorizing it.  It is also important to hold up teachings we read in books or hear from the pulpit to the Word of God to confirm their accuracy and context.  The wonderful part of doing this is that it takes your fingers traveling through the Scriptures which is a refreshment and renewing of your mind.  Even during the brief time I spent this morning first looking in my own concordance before doing a search in the Blue Letter Bible site, I was led to many verses that combined the words "gladness" and "joy" within the verse.  Guess how much more delighted my heart is now after reviewing verse after verse with these two words?!  


All I can say now is.......bring on July!  You have put gladness in my heart!


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Laura said...

I have to say... I love reading your blog! It always makes me happy, like a big hug! Lol! I know I sound silly, but really, praise God for your exhortation to let the Lord put gladness in my heart! :0)

Okay, now I'm going to go do some laundry singing "This is the day"! haha

mom said...

Thanks for hugging me back, Laura! Now you have ME humming "This is the day"!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin