Thursday, July 29

influencing the influencer

"You don't have to be a 'person of influence' to be influential.  In fact, the most influential people in my life are probably not even aware of the things they've taught me." ~ Scott Adams

When I read this quote, I had to stop and think about the influences in my life.  It's easy to think of the obvious people who have influenced me from the beginning of my life such as parents or grandparents or friends.  It's also easy to think of my spiritual influence - God - through His word and the work of the Holy Spirit.  

However what about the influential people who are not even aware of the things they've taught me?  It's easy to think of various authors through the years whose words have influenced my child training or homeschooling or eating habits or health choices.

But perhaps my greatest influencers have been my own children.  I know....that statement sounds backwards, doesn't it?  I'm suppose to be influencing them, right?  And I'm quite certain I have through the years.  Yet they've influenced me, too.  They've shown me that a child isn't a one size fits all in a perfectly wrapped box.  Each one is so uniquely different that a mother's heart has to stretch to accommodate and wrap itself around them.  They've influenced me by allowing me to take God's Word, put it into application, and see the fruit of those labors.  

The bottom line is that God's Word works.  How can there be any greater influence and impact on my life?  It allows me to trust God even more as I apply these same applications more broadly in my life and beyond my own family.  


Love one another. Encourage one another.  Serve one another.  Be patient with one another. Be kind to one another.  Live in peace with one another.  Pray for one another.


Allow your children to influence you to put those principles into practice - and they will test them! - so that you may become more Christlike in the process and become a positive godly influence in the lives of others!



Blessings,

Tammy ~@~

1 comment:

Nezzy said...

Thanks for the reminder. We are never aware of those who are watchin' our lives and we have direct influence over.

You have a terrifically blessed day sweetie!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin