Wednesday, July 28

a time for beans

When it's time, it's time.  My bean patches were calling my name last week, yet with so much in and out of the house I knew I could not commit the concentrated time needed to work on canning and only picked enough beans for meals.

When it's time, it's time.  So for the last four days I have committed the concentrated time to work on canning the first crop of beans from my garden and can say I'm done for now!  Unfortunately I may not get much of a second major canning this year because with our rain an old garden problem has returned.
It's not easy to see at first glance, but the dampness from the rain has prompted mold to spread through a couple of my green bean patches.  
A close up view will reveal what I'm talking about as the mold slowly destroys the bean plant and the beans themselves.
Poor beans!
Fortunately there's one green bean patch that hasn't had a problem and the yellow beans have only had a touch, so I've thinned those out with hopes of more beans to come.


After having several summers of drought and bravely planting beans closer together, I've learned my lesson well this summer with this reminder to plant them further apart just in case we end up with a rainy summer.  The plants grow much bigger and hardier with better air circulation if given more space in between.  


When it's time, it's time.  Since I've been busy with my bean canning, the rest of my house is in great need of some concentrated housecleaning time. So, I'm off to get busy!


May you enjoy the fruit of your garden labors!


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin