Thursday, August 26

an extra blanket or two or more

Lately every night after praying with my littlest, she asks if I would please lay down with her for a little bit as she falls asleep.  Often I do well with this simple request by lying for a few minutes, then getting back up to finish up a task or two before bed.  However more recently I've been quite tired by that time of the day and if I close my eyes - even for a moment! - I'm a goner and wake up quite a bit later needing to groggily drag myself into my own bedroom to fall back to sleep.  

Fortunately after last night's prayers and her request, the bedroom was quite a bit cooler which kept me awake.  My mind was thinking about our prayers AND wondering where one of those little quilts was to throw over chilly me.  In that moment a realization about our family warmed my heart.  

Our family's prayers are like blankets covering each other with God's love and protection.  And because of the size of our family, that means there's a LOT of blankets covering each one.  During our morning school devotions we pray for each family member.  During our bedtime prayers we pray for each family member.  During the day we pray for family members as they come to mind.  Those prayers may be more general or they may be very specific as we hear of specific needs.  Those praying times aren't just happening within the walls of our home, but also within the walls of the homes of children who have grown up and left home as they teach their own children about praying for others.  The blankets of the prayers of many covering each one of us aren't heavy and burdensome, but instead lighten our burdens and give us the strength we need for daily life.  


Not sure where to start?  Use God's Word to give some extra power to your prayers for your family.  A few of my favorite Scriptures to pray are Ephesians 1:15-23 and 3:14-21, Philippians 1:3-11, and Colossians 1:9-14.  Insert the name of who you are praying for every time you see the word "you".  Always be on the lookout for prayer opportunities within Scripture and don't hesitate to use them as they hold God's power for those you love.

No matter what the season, may you be thinking about throwing a prayer blanket or two or more on members of your family!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

4 comments:

LaughingLady said...

What a great way to think about prayer ~ and to explain it to children!! Thanks for the Scripture references; they will be helpful, too.

val said...

Dear Tammy,
Thank you for this timely posting as there are some difficulties within our family. Unlike yours my family is so small and I feel very much in need of blankets for each of my loved ones. I remember that our Great God is our Rock and our Fortress and our help in times of need and to keep remembering that He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world.
Thank you Tammy, bless you
Val xx Oxfordshire UK

mom said...

{{{Val}}} I'll add a blanket to your family with my prayers for you! God knows all the details and yes, He IS greater than he who is in the world and He IS the one who claims victory! There is a great spiritual battle happening across our world and how faithfully we need to be in prayer to stand firm!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

ChiGirl said...

I threw a few blankets around some bros this morning. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin