Sunday, August 8

a hammock will do

Welcome to my entry for Heart of the Matter Online's Not-Back-to-School Blog Hop and this week's theme....school rooms!  Feel free to join this fun Blog Hop by clicking on the links!

Where we home school has evolved through the years. We began at our kitchen table, converted a storage building into a school and used that for a few years, came back to a kitchen with desks for many years, remodeled our kitchen, and have settled into what works best for our family now.  Although we may not have an official school room anymore,  we've found that learning takes place comfortably all over our home.

Our school day always begins around the kitchen table for a devotional time.  Once that is completed, each child heads to where they typically do their school work.
 

My high schoolers are currently using a DVD curriculum which they view in their own rooms. They each have a desk with a small TV where they watch their classes and do the required homework.

My grade schoolers work at the kitchen table a majority of the time. All their main books and materials as well as my teachers guides and keys for all grades are in an easily accessible cabinet in the kitchen.  Although the kitchen table tends to work best for seat work, they tend to wander to a variety of places for any reading they need to do.

During the warmer months you'll find children sitting on the front porch or lying on the trampoline or sacked out in a hammock as they enjoy the great outdoors while reading.  During the colder months, they may be sitting in the comfy chair by the woodburner downstairs or snuggled under blankets on the couch by the living room window.  
 
How about you? If you are a homeschooling family, do you have a particular place you like to do schooling? 

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

10 comments:

Daddy's Chick's said...

I am so digging the hammock!! Thanks for sharing

Jennifer said...

The hammock is cool! My kids would probably fall asleep.

Layton Family Joy said...

Tammy - I think there is NO better place to read a book than in a hammock! That's wonderful!!

Stef
http://laytonfamilyjoy.com

Rana said...

One of these days we will get a hammock. It's the perfect spot for a good read.

mom said...

Hammocks are fun! My kids don't fall asleep in them, but I think *I* would! 'Course I tend to fall asleep wherever I read but that's a while 'nother post....LOL!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Mrs. C said...

I'm admiring the fact that your children are so self-sufficient as to be able to do their DVD curriculum in their own rooms! :)

MissMOE said...

Wow, a hammock sounds wonderful. We often start out around the dining room table also, but I must admit snuggling on the couch is my favorite way to do school.

Denise said...

Our schooling also takes place all over. I rather like it that way (though I must admit, I get a tad jealous of those beautiful schoolrooms!).

Our Village is a Little Different said...

We are all over the house, too.. The trampoline always feels good on a sunny day, doesn't it?

anita said...

Although we have a great school area in an upstairs bedroom, we still school anywhere and everywhere. It is strange this year especially, because like you I am doing the granny thing and 5 of our 7 are done with homeschool. All grown up! Only a 10 and 12 year old left.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin