Tuesday, August 10

mess management is marvelous

Last week my three youngest girls were away with their oldest sister enjoying a little mini vacation in the city.  My sons at home were busy working or doing other things so I was able to experience one of those very rare things....a quiet house to myself.  

On those other similar rare occasions in the past, I've often frittered the time away sitting and relaxing and refreshing.  Oh yes, that's often necessary, too, but every time I look back it is with a big sigh as I think.....fritter.

The first thing I did was cleaned the bathrooms, generally picked up in every room, vacuumed the whole house, cleaned up the kitchen counters knowing that the house would stay generally clean until the girls returned. Having experienced a tidy house for a week, I have to say that whoever said that "someday you'll miss the messes your children make" was not being truthful OR perhaps they only had one child who was neat instead of nine children who have lived full wonderful lives in every possible inch and cranny of my house.  Having experienced over thirty years and continuing to experience children living in my house, someday I will NOT miss the messes, although I will miss the children.  'Nuff said about that!  LOL!

Then I got busy on some areas of the house that have been driving me bonkers because they are so messy and out of order.  One of the main culprits of such disorder is the room under our main addition:  the laundry - food pantry storage - toy room.  YIKES!  It took me about three days of uninterrupted time to work my way through it sorting, tossing, stacking, and organizing.  It is pretty much done except for all the ironing I still need to work on (which I love to do so that isn't a problem) plus there's still things stored in the food pantry which I need to decide what to do with since they are odd things that really have no place of their own. There was also some time to work in the girls room doing much the same task of sorting, tossing, stacking, and organizing.  I didn't want to spend too much time in there though as we'll be doing room changeovers in a couple of weeks. 

Now that they are home, I feel a bit like a secret service agent/policeman as I track down the culprit of every mess left behind as they move from one thing to the next.  "Pick up, put away!  Pick up, put away!"  is the battle cry as I came to realize while I was doing my deep cleaning that I had been lax on the younger ones in this area of their life.  

With the summer waning, I have one last major cleaning project I want to work on - what used to be my husband's old work office in the back of our garage which turned into my school book storage area many years ago.  Most of our extra books, teachers keys, and all the storage boxes of my children's school work are kept in this room.  It's also the room where all my extra boxes are kept (you know, for things I need to mail or ship) and I have a file cabinet to store all our family records of bills paid, etc, which was overflowing years ago, so there's papers and receipts in this box, that box and the other box.  A disaster of MY own making.  YIKES!  It will be quite a task, but ohhhh how freeing it will feel to have it done and clean!

Hopefully this will encourage you to JUST DO IT if there's a project that you've been putting off for a long time that is driving you a bit bonkers.  It does feel so much better once it's done  :-)

Enjoy this August day in your garden!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

6 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, Dear Sweetie,
I so needed to read this this morning..enough said...off to the task!
Blessings,
Laura

LaughingLady said...

My girls are in public school and the youngest will be full-time this year, so I'm putting off the deep cleaning till they go back in September. It's waited this long; another four weeks won't hurt!

mom said...

You go, Laura!

I will hold you accountable, Tammi, when school starts *wink*

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

LaughingLady said...

Oh, great. WhenEVER will I learn to keep my mouth shut about these kinds of things?!! ;)

mom said...

Ha! By now you should be learning to be careful about what you say in front of me! *wink*

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Karen said...

I loved this post even though I am frittering away at the moment. Took a vacation day to send the youngest to college and found out I wasn't needed after all. Not sure how I feel about that but it did give me a free day! Anyway, I think I'll head off to tackle a few things before the rest of the day escapes. Here's hoping things are still in their place.

blessings,
karen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin