Tuesday, August 31

overflowing influence

"There is something infinitely more important than the mere recent performance of duties.  There is an unconscious influence that hangs about every life like an atmosphere, which is more important than the words or acts of the life....  When the results of life are all gathered up it will probably be seen that the things which have made the deepest and most lasting impression in our homes and upon our children have not been the things we did with purpose and intention, planning to produce a certain effect, but the things we did when we were not thinking of training or influencing or affecting any other life." ~ J.R. Miller

Thumbing through my journal looking for a particular quote, I stumbled across this one from a couple of years ago.  Perhaps it caught my eye because it seems like the last week of August is much like the last week before Christmas.  Life is incredibly busy as I'm wrapping up so many things from the summer while intentionally preparing for the fall.  Every moment is filled with a task that needs to get done from the summer to fall list, yet there is still daily living that needs to happen....three meals a day, laundry, picking up the house, and tucking children into bed.

Reading this quote made me stop and think.  What is the affect on my children as I go through such a full busy time?  How does my attitude affect my children?  Am I making time to connect with them one-on-one face-to-face or are they only getting a passing whiff of me as I go from room to room talking over my shoulder?  Are they seeing a mom who is content and peaceful as she goes about her tasks or a mom who is struggling and stressed?  

Stop and think and know that your influence as a mom goes beyond those intentional quality moments and travels into the busy quantity moments, too.

Stop and think and know that ALL moments of your life need to be influenced by God's Word.  As you fill up with Him, you'll overflow into the lives of others in ways that will bring glory to your Heavenly Father no matter what the day or week or season of life!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Man, I just don't know how you homeschoolers do it. The biggest thing I'm looking forward to about my youngest being in school full-time this year is that I'll be able to get everything on the "to do" list done and yet be ALL THEIRS once they're home from school! I'm excited at the prospect of being able to compartmentalize a bit and be completely dedicated to them the hours they're home without thinking, "Oh, I should really be doing this" or, "I just need to do this yet today." I know the temptation will be there sometimes, but I'm planning on being strict with myself about using their school hours wisely so that their home time is high-quality time.

Nezzy said...

As mom's we have the world on our shoulders and are totally responsible for settin' the tone in our homes....busy or not. Those little eyes are always watchin'. I commend you sweet moms that are also homeschoolin' your kiddos.

I pray you and yours have the best school year ever.

God bless and have yourself the most beautiful day!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin