Thursday, November 11

my soldier

Once upon a time we lived with a soldier in our midst.  He was the son that frequently came to the table with camo paint on his face and a green helmet on his head.  His play rifle was never far away and he was known to always have the best micro machine armies whenever doing battle with his brothers. 


That little boy grew up to work with his Dad for a few years, but there was a restlessness in him to follow his heart into the military.  Finally, he took the leap and prided himself on giving his all and his best which took him through Army, Airborne, then into Rangers.


Many prayed for him as he left for his first deployment this past year.  Every time his name came to mind, a prayer was whispered as he served in an unknown location.  It didn't take long to realize that our media in this country covers nothing about our military engagements and some web searching brought up a site that gave a daily online accounting of the activities and fatalities in faraway places in our world.  It made me acutely aware of the sacrifice our military personnel were making and my prayers were whispered with each name on the list knowing that a family in our country would be contacted with the news of the loss of a beloved son.  


Yet, even with the knowledge of the extreme danger my brave son was facing, there was great peace knowing his eternal salvation was secure.  He was doing what God had prepared him for years ago and no matter what happened, I would see him again. Today was living in the dot.   Eternity would be forever.  


When I heard his clear voice recently and realized he was calling from his room on the base back on American soil, it's hard to explain the great relief that flooded my soul.  He was quick to state that the faithful prayers of others kept him safe and protected.  I pass that on to my readers here who have faithfully prayed for him throughout this time.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!


And on this Veterans Day across our land, be sure to say thank you to a man or woman who has served our country bravely and willingly to the point of ultimate sacrifice with their lives.  Our freedom comes at great cost.....


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

3 comments:

LaughingLady said...

"Yet, even with the knowledge of the extreme danger my brave son was facing, there was great peace knowing his eternal salvation was secure. He was doing what God had prepared him for years ago and no matter what happened, I would see him again. Today was living in the dot. Eternity would be forever."

THAT is breath-taking. That is the attitude I'm trying to have in regards to my own children.

Up in Canada, we have Remembrance Day today and while I'm so thankful for all the sacrifices made to purchase and preserve freedom, I have to admit, I wish I actually had some connection to someone who was serving or had served. I've seen a few posts today from people with sons or fathers to honour and I can't help but wistfully wish I could feel that same kind of pride.

jenny said...

Wonderful post, Tammy. I'm glad your son is "home" safe and sound.

I have begun to write again. Thought you would be interested in this post since it is about being at the center. http://whitejennifer83.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/48/

mom said...

You're right, Tammi! That statement would hold true for ALL our children no matter what they end up doing out in the world. You'll have to find a soldier to adopt....they love getting mail and packages :-)

And thanks for sharing the link to your writing, Jenny. I know without a doubt that you prayed before you walked into that room and therefore you must trust that what you shared was exactly what God wanted you to and the rest is up to Him. {{{Jenny}}}

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin