Saturday, February 19

speaking of poetry

Having listened to a poem recited by my youngest on Thursday, yesterday I listened to a poem recited by my oldest daughter at home.  It came with no demand to go to the laundry area to be presented, but instead she began reciting in the kitchen what she had memorized.  I was putting away our correction books as she recited, however I stopped as the words were shared.  When she was done, I sat and reread the poem which was so rich with meaning.  Let me share it with you:


His Plan for Me by Martha Snell Nicholson


When I stand at the judgment seat of Christ
And He shows me His plan for me,
The plan of my life as it might have been
Had He had His way, and I see


How I blocked Him here, and I checked Him there,
And I would not yield my will--
Will there be grief in my Saviour's eyes,
Grief, though He loves me still?


He would have me rich, and I stand there poor,
Stripped of all but His grace,
While memory runs likes a hunted thing
Down the paths I cannot retrace.


Then my desolate heart will well-nigh break
With the tears that I cannot shed;
I shall cover my face with my empty hands,
I shall bow my uncrowned head...


Lord, of the years that are left to me,
I give them to Thy hand;
Take me and break me, mould me to
The pattern Thou hast planned!


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Laura said...

beautiful poem! Thank you (and your daughter) for sharing it!

Brook said...

wonderful thought provoking poem..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin