Tuesday, August 9

sewn for life

As I saw Randi's post last night about her first quilt, it totally triggered a memory for me from Sunday.  My husband had emptied things out of his work truck so that he could clean it and the items were lying on the ground by the garage.  My eyes quickly spotted something dear and I immediately grabbed it out of the pile.  The first quilt I had ever done by myself!
Unfortunately the poor thing which was sewn almost thirty years ago looks nothing like Randi's, but instead is on its last legs.  I still recall cutting the squares and lying it out on my mother's living room floor as toddlers walked on my rows before I sewed them together.  
The printed fabrics were a collection of many of my own scraps as I dug through my mom's plain colored fabrics to put in the alternating rows.  The quilt was sewn to be used by my family.  A quilt to throw down on the grass for babies to roll on.  A quilt to teach colors to toddlers.  A quilt to snuggle under while watching a movie together.  A quilt to go on a card table for a fort.  And in more recent years it was a quilt used up at our cabin until it finally landed in my husband's work truck for the dog to lie upon.
The striping from a shirt I had sewn for a high school boyfriend still held its true colors, but the sharp browns and oranges of some flowers had drastically faded.
The dark blue background from this flowered print has totally disappeared as has the bright colors of the flowers which are barely visible.
Yet the fabric from a romper sewn for high school (yes, I was around when rompers came out the FIRST time) is still fairly bright and cheery with sunshine, flowers, and butterflies among the trees.
Although the solid colors have literally disappeared with batting barely in place, there's still evidence of a plaid from a blouse I had sewn, a plaid from a pair of drawstring pants I had sewn, the plaid from a hand sewn smock top, and the strawberry fabric from another hand sewn smock top.  


Looking over the faded fabrics of such a torn quilt were multiple reminders of how much I used to sew.  I remembered how much I loved to sew clothes in high school and was even quite talented as I could always call on my mom to help me if I got stuck.  

At the moment I can't even remember the last time I actually sewed an item of clothing from a pattern.  Quilts? Yes.  Clothes.  No.  A lost art indeed.

It makes me sad to say goodbye to this family artifact, but it has lived a long happy life for almost thirty years as it played with children through the years.  Farewell, dear quilt!  

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

3 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Loved this post. I am yet to make my first quilt :-)

The Prude said...

This was fun. My father-in-law has a quilt HIS mother made, but he and my mother-in-law aren't sure if it is salvageable. I hope it is- and I would have loved to hear the story behind it!

mom said...

There's no better time than trying it right now, Mrs. M! Go for it!

How cool, Anita! It is hard to salvage old quilts as some of the fabric does get threadbare. The fabrics used in those old quilts are so awesome and perhaps many have "stories" to go with them :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin