Wednesday, September 7

lazy or fearful?

A verse from a section of verses from my devotional this morning:

"And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone." I Thessalonians 5:14

An interesting thought was brought up in the commentary about this verse and something I hadn't really considered before.....that sometimes it's hard to distinguish between idleness and timidity. 

Two people could be doing nothing.  One maybe be doing nothing out of laziness. The other might be doing nothing out of shyness or fear of doing something wrong.  You need to sensitively observe to know what the solution is and whether to more sternly address the situation or perhaps encourage them more strongly to move into action.  

As I considered this I thought about how true it is, especially when it comes to procrastination.  There are times when true laziness is involved.  It may be a task that I really don't want to do as it is something that is boring, tedious, mindless, fill in the blank.  That would be true idleness.  But I'm also finding that there are times that I have a task that is hanging over me needing to be done that is very challenging and something I have not done before.  I had never before recognized fear as being a part of that idleness.  

Recognizing these two perspectives in myself will hopefully help me when it comes to my children and idleness.  Are they being truly lazy in a situation or am I asking them to do something challenging that may take some encouragement that will move them from fear into action?

Of course, the real key is the last part of that verse...."be patient with everyone" because no matter how much patience you already have, the Lord is sure to bring about situations requiring MORE especially when it comes to addressing idleness.  

May you be encouraged to tackle everything on your garden path today.  Be gone idleness!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

3 comments:

The Prude said...

I hadn't thought of it this way either.
We need to really mull over Scripture and chew on it or we miss so much.
Thank you for sharing this insight!

Letitia said...

Very good point. We dealt with this with our 3rd when it came to learning to read. I thought for too long that it was laziness and rebelliousness that she did not want to do the phonics work. She would slump over at the table, have a very lazy attitude, and barely acknowledge the work. Then I discovered that she could actually not hear phonetically. It was overwhelming her, and she didn't know how to express it.
Thanks for sharing. It's a reminder to look closely and prayerfully before we judge something as a sin.
As for me~too much procrastination!!

mom said...

Scripture is so full of LIFE and how to live it. We tend to look only from our perspective, but God's Word gives us so many tools to use. The key, however, is to not just read and listen......but to apply! THAT is the challenge, eh?!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin