Saturday, November 19

praising the growls

From a devotional for today:  

"When any great blessing is awaiting us, the devil is sure to try to make it so disagreeable to us that we shall miss it.  It is a good thing to know him as a liar, and remember, when he is trying to prejudice us strongly against any cause, that very likely the greatest blessing of our life lies there.  Spurgeon once said that the best evidence that God was on our side is the devil's growl, and we are generally pretty safe in following a thing according to Satan's dislike for it." ~ A.B. Simpson

As I've been pondering an incident that happened this past week, a friend gently reminded me that this growl from the enemy was perhaps a gift from God.  Hadn't thought about it in that light at all.  

Aren't gifts suppose to come in brightly wrapped pretty packages?  Aren't they suppose to give us that heady feeling of excitement when they are placed in our hands?  Aren't our fingers suppose to wiggle with delight as we anticipate pulling the ribbons to open the gift?

Hmmmm, all those things have been missing.  Instead there has been an aching heart with a tear or two as I wander through the process of seeking the truth of the matter.  

Gingerly I hold this gift in my hands knowing that the weight of it has pushed me to my knees as I draw closer to my Heavenly Father.  It is from that position that I begin to see the treasure of this gift which didn't come in the expected wrappings.  

The gift of salvation didn't come in a pretty package either, did it?  It came with blood, sweat, tears, and scourging as a life was sacrificed on the cross.  Not any life, but the life of the Son of God.  Jesus.

My heart is humbled knowing His sacrifice for my gift of eternal life.

Suddenly the incident that is still playing out in my life looks differently.  The enemy may growl, yet my praises of thanksgiving to God will sound out much louder for HE walks with me as I open this gift knowing that the treasure inside is a deeper walk with my Lord and Savior.

May you keep praises on your lips when the enemy growls along your pathways knowing there is a gift of blessing ahead!


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Beautiful, encouraging, inspiring post, my friend. I have certainly never thought of troubles quite that way, but it sure makes me want to be victorious through and/or despite them!! I've come to believe whatever makes me desperate for God is a blessing, but this adds another dimension to understanding and accepting ~ and THRIVING ~ amidst the trials of life.

Beautiful, Tammy. Just beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

mom said...

And thank YOU for the encouragment! I'm still looking this gift in the face and praying God will keep my heart thankful as I go through whatever the week ahead may bring!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin