Thursday, November 10

snow in context

No matter how many times you read the Bible, there's always those verses that pop out at you that you don't remember reading before which is what happened to me this morning.  Here's the verse:

"Like the cold of snow in the time of harvest is a faithful messenger to those who send him; he refreshes the soul of his masters." ~ Proverbs 25:13

The timing of reading this verse is interesting because we received our first significant snow fall of the season yesterday.  We ended up with about three heavy wet inches of snow instead of the six to ten inches that were predicted. Seeing the snow coming down, my heart was soooo thankful that for once I wasn't harvesting my carrots for canning as it seems I typically put off digging them out of the garden until forced to when the first main snow comes. The cold of snow at harvest is NOT a good thing for me.  Refreshing would NOT come to mind.  

Of course, I've missed the whole context of the verse since I got all tangled up with that snow because the verse is really about the faithful messenger.  His master has sent him on an important mission with an important message and the servant has carried the task out successfully and well. There was no mishaps in the delivery of the message and his master is very pleased.  So pleased that the comparison was made to the coolness of snow refreshing those who are harvesting crops while enduring the burden and heat of the day as they labor in hot countries.  

The verse was all about context and the context was quite contrary to my own experience.  Thank goodness for commentaries that provide information that we may be lacking.  

Now if I could only pass on some of this refreshment to those harvesters.....


Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin