Friday, February 24

more than a spelling lesson

One of my high schooler's memory verses recited this afternoon: "He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy." ~ Proverbs 28:13

Interestingly this verse was lived out earlier in the day.

It was our usual Friday morning of mom ironing while giving spelling tests.  The youngest had taken her test and I put a few little x's by the words she misspelled which I usually do for all spelling tests.  My students are allowed a quick second look to make necessary changes, then the red teacher's pen comes out.  While she was taking her quick second look, I grabbed the spelling book and took a pile of ironed clothing into another room to put away.  A couple minutes later I returned to my ironing board ready to finish the spelling test correction.  

She brought her spelling paper over and all of a sudden big tears began to fall.  

"I cheated.  When you went out of the room, I checked my school chart so I'd know how to spell the word 'February'." More tears followed as she waited to see what I would say.

I gently thanked her for telling me the truth and told her that I was proud of her for listening to God speak to her heart as He convicted her of doing wrong.  We talked about how important it is to always listen to God and how important it is to confess our sins for God is merciful.  

It was a good lesson for a little girl that I pray will be lived out in her life.  Too many people stuff sins below the surface and wonder why life doesn't go well.    Interestingly her older siblings were quick to recount consequences from spelling tests when they didn't confess some spelling shortcuts and got caught in the act.  Ouch!

Proverbs provided a good reminder for all of us that keeping a clean slate through confession is essential to living well as you realize your Heavenly Father is loving, forgiving, and full of mercy.  

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin