Saturday, May 5

critically listening

This morning I read the most interesting quote - "Listen to your critics.  They will keep you focused and innovative." ~ Author Unknown

The first thing we often do when criticized is become hurt and reject what someone has said about us.  We tend to see the other person more at fault than ourselves.

But this quote flips that situation into something positive and puts you into the position of being teachable.  It causes you to stop.  LISTEN.  Examine yourself.  Explore how much of what was said is accurate, how much is inaccurate, what could you do to make it favorable without compromising your beliefs.  Take the negative and turn it into something positive by staying focused and being innovative in your approach.  

I can see this working in many areas as I consider my critics such as the teens in our household.  Oh my!  They are so easily critical of everything I say or do or wear at this point of their lives.  Their comments do allow me to ponder, consider, and focus on what is important as I live my life out in front of them.  Their thoughts often do have some validity and I'm reminded that our children learn best not from what they hear but from what they see.  Am I living what I'm saying?  Do I need to change things around in an innovative way that allows me to stay focused on the purpose God has placed in my as a mom to these teens?

Think of the other possible critics in life....a spouse, a friend, people involved in ministry areas, people in the community.  Take a moment to stop, listen, pray, and turn the negatives into positives!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

3 comments:

A Joyful Noise said...

This is so awesome to listen to criticism as there may be some truth in it.

I got rid of my captchas as they discourage comments. Here is how:
1. Your blog is automatically doing captcha because you are probably on the new "Blogger Interface." Log on to your Blogger dashboard and hit the gear button, then go down and choose "Old Blogger Interface". Be sure to save your work.

This may fix the problem. If not try fix #2

2. At your Dashboard click on settings then on comments. Under comments moderation – check the box “always” (the top choice.) Add your e-mail address in the box below it. It should cancel your captcha. Then SAVE what you did.

Kimmie said...

What a wise mama you are. I do tend to get hurt feelings when criticism comes...guess i will have to toughen up and flip the whole thing about.

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted

mom said...

Thanks for the info about the captchas. I had heard a rumor that they were going to change those, so I kind of decided to wait it out a bit since I do like the new interface much better and didn't want to go back to the old. It's interesting because I've always tended to get more emails than comments.....I have no idea why, but it's been encouraging either way :-)

Flip it but stay tenderhearted, Kimmie!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin