Friday, January 17

the root of encouragement


Friday came quickly this week!  Up for the challenge of five minute writing? Write for five minutes on one word.  No editing. Post it.  Then read what others have written and encourage them by going to Five Minute Friday   The word for today is none other than - Encouragement.  Ready?  Set?  GO:

Encouragement

Recently thinking back, I realized I hadn't grown up with a lot of encouragement.  It wasn't that I wasn't well taken care of or talked to by my parents, I just never remember them saying, "Great job!"  "You're good at this!"  "Way to finish that up!" etc.  I know I was loved, but it was without accolades.  

What makes that interesting is that I think of myself as being an encourager.  Did that come out of all the things that perhaps I felt was unconsciously missing such as verbal encouragement?  Or was it just a gifting that came from my Heavenly Father?  Or is a natural overflow into the lives of others from the overflow of God's love in your own life?

It's interesting because this verse came across my desk this week - "that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love" ~ Colossians 2:2

Encouragement is about love. Knitting our hearts together in love.  And I can't think of a single person in this world that isn't in need of a little love spilled into their life.  More importantly, a little of God's love.  Or maybe a LOT of God's love.  

It's a hurting world out there.  Let's be genuine (because people DO know the difference!) and generous with our love!

Blessings,

Tammy ~@~

5 comments:

Jen Ferguson said...

I so agree! Yes, let's be generous with our affirmations and love!

The McFadden Family said...

Yes, yes, yes and yes again! Seeing the smile when you encourage someone - even if that smile comes days later makes stepping out like that so amazing!

Ally Bean said...

Ditto what The McFadden Family said. If only more people understood this idea & implemented it hourly, what an encouraging world this would be.

[I'm here via Five Minute Friday.]

Lynn K said...

I wish more people would encourage... thanks for the reminder to be an encourager!
xx

jackie collins said...

Hi my name is jackie, I am hopping over to visit from five minute friday. I loved your post, it is so true, and often times, I have wondered the same thoughts. Hope I run into someone like you today in my travels.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin