Friday, July 25

avoid the stumble


It's Friday and time to stop for a few minutes - five to be exact - to write on the topic of one word.  Post it.  Link it up at the community of writers found at Five Minute Friday  And be sure to leave an encouraging word on the link before yours or on many links before yours.  The word for today is FINISH. Ready? Set?  GO!
(a peek of the start of the garden path)

FINISH

Since last weekend, I've been working on making my way from the garden gate to the opposite end of the garden where the raspberry bushes are currently mass producing a bounty of sweet juicy berries.  However, there's also been a bounty of weeds, rocks, and small sticks on the journey from one end to the other.  It's hard to progress through the mess of things that can cause stumbling and falling.  A lot of perseverance and hard work has gone into clearing the pathway so that we can finish with a bowl full of fresh raspberries.

As I consider the encouragement found in Hebrews 12:1 to run with perseverance the race set before us, I also see all the stumbling and falling that comes along the way.  There's a tendency to look down at your own sin, at the unexplainable behavior of others close to you that affects your life, at the chaos of a culture all around that throws weeds into the lives of believers.  Stumble.  Fall.  Stumble again.  Fall harder.

Yet the next verse in Hebrews pulls our eyes UP to the founder and perfecter of our faith - Jesus.

And imagine my delight when I read this verse this morning during my devotional time which was a good focus turner upward - "I am always thinking of the Lord; and because he is so near, I never need to stumble or to fall." ~Psalm 16:8

Keep thinking of the Lord as He walks with you on the path leading you through all the challenges within your own life, the involvement with the lives of others, and within this crazy world we live in.  He's got you and you can finish well!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

2 comments:

Meagan Logsdon said...

Hello! I'm visiting from FMF. First off, your post made me crave some berries. Second, this is a wonderful reminder to cling to the Lord. You've put the image into my head of Him holding our hand as we stroll, or sometimes run or stumble, along the path of life. I enjoyed your writing. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

What a lovely reminder Psalm 16:8 is. In all my stumbling and falling I'm thankful God picks me up and wipes off the dirt.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin