Friday, March 20

the real 50's


How wonderful for this Friday to land on the first day of spring!  Time to write for five minutes, no editing, post it, link it up at Kate's Five Minute Friday, visit the link before yours and leave a note of encouragement behind.  The word for today is REAL.  Ready?  Set?  GO!

::real::

The fact that the calendar says it's the first day of spring here is not real at all.  The snow covered ground is a strong reminder that we haven't shed the days of winter yet.  A confirmation that the signs of real tend to be on the outside.

Much like one of my favorite childhood stories - The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams.

The signs that the velveteen rabbit had become real were the fact that his hair had been loved off, his eyes dropped out, his joints got loose, and he was shabby.   Good grief!  That describes a mom of many who is swiftly traveling through her 50's!  Okay, so my eyes haven't dropped out yet, but I do sense the need to get back to the eye doctor for an updated eyeglass prescription, I'm definitely losing hair, joints are getting more loose and achey every day, and new wrinkles add to the shab.  

But this is real, folks.  AND I hope and pray that the velveteen rabbit was right in saying that real can't be ugly, except to people that don't understand.  Because the people who DO understand, who have loved you through the years, who don't notice the hair, the eyes, the joints, and the shab.....those people will continue to love the REAL you especially since they helped you become the real you through all their love!

STOP!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

3 comments:

E. Clark said...

The Velveteen Rabbit was also one of my favorites growing up, although it would make me cry. Your Real is the most beautiful of all, definitely! How good it is to know that we are on the same journey. xxoo

Anne said...

I love your post. I am not too familiar with the Velveteen Rabbit, but I am getting all too familiar with the 50's! I will be 52 next month. I am glad to have this reference to being well-loved. THANK YOU!! Anne

Zippi Kit said...

Aha! This is the place to post a comment. I loved being re-introduced to the sweet story of the Velveteen Rabbit.

One who has lost a lot of hair, eyesight and some hearing. And visiting from FMF. Very good take on REAL, too, by the way.... Have a great Weekend.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin