Friday, May 15

follow your heart?

I think I say this every week, but Friday came quickly.  I'm picking up a daughter from college, so I'm excited!  But first things first.  Write for five minutes on one word.  No editing. Post it. Link it up at Kate's Five Minute Friday.  Be sure to visit the link before yours and leave behind an encouraging word. Simple!  The word for today is FOLLOW.  Ready? Set? WRITE!


::follow::

Follow your heart.

This phrase is probably used more this time of the year with graduations and weddings happening all around us.  There are new adventures awaiting as a new chapter in life begins and hearing those warm fuzzy words are an encouragement.

But have you ever stopped to think about what the Bible says about the heart?

"The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked.  Who can know it?" ~ Jeremiah 17:9

Yes, who can know it?

Only God knows our hearts and He is THE best One to consult. Follow your heart? Consult your Heavenly Father prayerfully.  Lay out what you're thinking as you seek wise counsel of other believers. And do something that most people don't even consider....look beyond your heart to see how others will be affected as you make a decision.  

Why?  

Because often we follow our hearts down a path that God is not leading us.  The path may be contrary to His Word.  The counsel you are receiving may not be wise as you sought out someone who you know will *tickle your ears*. Or perhaps you are not being fully open and honest when seeking advice and only share the part that sounds good leaving out the rest of the details. The reality is that our hearts are very self-centered, self-serving, and are only about ME.  And maybe, just maybe, you are choosing a path out of vengeance or revenge that will hurt, harm, and perhaps destroy others along the way. 

Follow your heart?  Use this as the best tool with a heart that sincerely wants to know  - "Search me, O God; and know my heart.  Test me, and know my anxious thoughts: And see if there be any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." ~ Psalm 139:23-24 

STOP!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~




4 comments:

Susan Barclay said...

I'm your Five-Minute Friday neighbour! Love this post; you are so right. This reminds me of Rich Mullin's song, Maker of Noses. If you don't know it, I highly recommend that you check it out on youtube :)

Tammy said...

Thanks for stopping by, Susan! Rich Mullin's is one of my favorites, but that song doesn't sound familiar. I will definitely check it out!

samcitty said...

Thank you for writing this! I cringe whenever I hear "follow your heart" as advice. Our hearts are deceitful and only God can give us the guidance we need to live for him. Visiting your from #FMF.

BusyB said...

Your post certainly pricked my heart. I reevaluated and I appreciate your ideas. A FMF visitor.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin