Friday, July 31

just try


It's not only Friday, but it's also the last day of July!  How did the happen?  Time to take on the challenge of writing for five minutes on one word, posting it without editing, linking it up at Kate's Five Minute Friday, and leaving a word of encouragement behind on the link before yours.  This week's word is TRY. Ready? Set? WRITE!

::try::

There is just something about that leap of faith that it takes to try something new.   Something that is outside your comfort zone.  Something that will s-t-r-e-t-c-h every single part of you.  Don't fear it!  TRY it!


My leap of faith of trying something new this summer involved that long skinny  streak that popped up on our horizon as we were driving toward it.

The Manitou Incline Trail.

It is only one mile long, but it is the longest mile I've ever experienced in my entire life!  This trail goes 2,000 feet vertically in that mile with about 2,000 unevenly spaced steps made by railroad ties.  

It was a upward journey with four other family members, three who went up the trail quickly as they knew the "time" they had to beat from when previous family members had done this feat.  My devoted committed trail companion was my sweet daughter-in-law and her dog as she too was taking on the challenge for the very first time despite living close to the trail throughout her life. We determined we were not doing it to compete in "time" like those other crazy family members; we just simply wanted to make it to the top.  


OH.MY.GOODNESS.

I wanted to die.  

The determination to try something new was physically going to kill me.

And then I began a recording in my mind - one step, Lord....one step, Lord....one step, Lord.....one step, Lord. And all those one steps took me to the top!


Not only had I made it to the top, but I had the additional blessing of a bonding experience with my daughter-in-law as she fought right alongside me from the first step to the last step.  We had conquered the trail - or was it trial? - together!

This challenge was such a good reminder to me about the times in life that are also so so sooooo hard emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. You think you absolutely cannot take another step in any direction.  Just keep taking one step at a time and you can completely trust that the Lord will help you do it!

STOP!

Blessings,
Tammy  ~@~

3 comments:

Trissy said...

This is beautiful Mrs. Tammy! My family had the opportunity to climb Stone Mountain in Georgia few years back & it was tricky, too! Thanks for this reminder to keep putting one foot in front of the other whether it involves spiritual decisions to keep pressing on for Christ or just the daily difficulties of life! Have a great weekend and happy August!
~ :)

Denise said...

amazing, you go girl.

Tammy said...

Thanks for stopping by with encouragement, Trissy and Denise!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin